Support for victims of crime, discover how therapy through counselling can help
The Counselling Foundation is working in conjunction with the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for Bedfordshire to offer victims of crime in Bedfordshire free emotional support through confidential counselling and trauma based therapy.
A grant has been awarded to the Foundation, specifically targeted to support victims of crimes (VOC) and their family members, to help them overcome the emotional harm and trauma they have experienced.
Who we support
Anyone who has suffered mental or emotional harm directly caused by a criminal offence including;
- victims of serious crimes, persistently targeted victims, and vulnerable or intimidated victims
- family members who have been directly impacted
- support services for victims of sexual violence and domestic violence (recent or historical)
The service is available to all:
- regardless of residence status, nationality or citizenship
- whether or not a crime has been reported to the police
- regardless of when the crime occurred
We take referrals from;
- Individuals (self-referral)
- Health professionals
- PCC partners and Bedfordshire Signpost services
What we offer:
Confidential counselling sessions (up to 6 sessions)
Counselling is a talking therapy for individuals offering a safe,non-judgemental space for victims to talk about the impact of a crime with a qualified counsellor who actively listens. You can talk about what is on your mind, with support to help you deal with upsetting and difficult situations. Counselling is generally face-to-face but telephone or Skype support is also available if required.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) (up to 5 sessions)
EMDR therapy is an effective treatment for trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The aim of EMDR is to help the brain process and move on from persistent or recurring memories. During therapy sessions you are supported to recall a traumatic event in short bursts while a therapist directs your eye movements.
How to access this free counselling for victims of crime:
If your enquiry is in connection with a crime already reported, please quote your crime reference number.
- Call our Luton centre on 01582 732450
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alternatively complete the attached registration form and email back to email@example.com
This counselling service is available from:
Luton Centre (LU1 5AT) and Bedford Centre (MK40 1SQ) or at various sites spread throughout Bedfordshire.
For up-to-date information about our venues, please contact our Luton admin team on 01582 732450.
Please note: Spaces are limited for this service. Available: until 31 March 2020
If you know of anyone who may have been affected by a crime in Bedfordshire, please ask them to get in contact directly with the Foundation via telephone or email.